Greene Central advances in Wilson Cup
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 21, 2013 1:47 PM
WILSON -- Greene Central turned back North Johnston 9-0 in the opening round of the Wilson Cup Tournament at Barton College on Tuesday.
The Rams (1-0 overall) advanced to face Tarboro this morning in the semifinals. The Panthers battled Southern Nash today.
Taylar Keel, Lindsey May, MacKenzie Butts, Brycen Radford, Chasity Holloman and Caitlin Deans were each winners in singles play. The doubles tandems of Keel/Holloman, May/Radford and Butts/Morgran Britt were also victorious.
"I was very pleased with our performance on opening day," Greene Central head coach Donald Clark said. "We were very sharp for a first match of the season. I was expecting a lot of nerves since we have so many new starters.
"I was particularly pleased with our doubles play. We did a great job of getting to the net and putting away volleys."
Other Local Sports
- Area teams run at New Bern's Creekside Park
- Lane Tree Ladies Golf news
- Aycock linksters claim season-opening victory
- Greene Central rolls over Tarboro in tennis
- WCDS nets season-opening win over Lawrence Academy
- Golden Falcons' Clark finding his niche
- Bulldogs' Frasier out to prove 2012 wasn't a fluke
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Eagles look to build on late-season surge from 2012
- FOOTBALL TAB - North Duplin roster
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Rebels' coaching staff working with several new faces