Area teams run at New Bern's Creekside Park
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 22, 2013 1:47 PM
NEW BERN -- Eastern Wayne's Vidal Wright placed eighth overall during an 11-team meet contested at Creekside Park.
Wright covered the 5k course in 20 minutes, 14 seconds -- nearly 2 1/2 minutes behind meet winner Alex Dolwick of Grace Christian School. Teammate Tim Cooper took 12th in 20:58, while Josh Bartz claimed 25th overall.
The Warriors finished fifth in the team race with 134 points.
Spencer Foster led Wayne Christian with a 19th-place time of 21:08. The Eagles placed ninth as a team overall, but were runners-up to county archrival Wayne Country Day among 1-A independent schools.
Jason Jones emerged Wayne Country Day's top runner, taking 37th in 22:32. The Chargers wound up eighth as team, but claimed first-place honors among the 1-A independent schools competing on the day.
More than 100 runners competed in sweltering conditions.
On the girls' side, Eastern Wayne's Allysa Akers logged an 18th-place time of 27:34. Teammates Morgan Exum (29:02), Tricia Malcolm (30:08) and Veronica Makdad (33:05) placed among the top 45 individuals.
Sarah Allen posted a 20th-place time for Wayne Christian. Georgia Parnell and Beverly Tabe also participated for the Eagles.
Other Local Sports
- Spring Creek completes regular-season sweep of Southern Wayne
- JV football: C.B. Aycock 22, Rosewood 8
- Bulldogs take 3-set match from Midway
- Bunn upends Princeton in volleyball
- Goldsboro spikers knock off Hobbton ... again
- Morgan cranks out 18 kills, Eagles stay unbeaten in volleyball
- Gryphons hand Rams first loss of the season
- Experienced Warriors off to 2-0 start in ECC girls' tennis
- Rosewood upends C.B. Aycock in non-conference golf match
- Preps digest: JV sports