Aycock linksters claim season-opening victory
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 22, 2013 1:47 PM
Madison Aycock earned medalist honors with a nine-hole round of 49 and Charles B. Aycock edged Rosewood, 159-161, in their season-opening match at Goldsboro Municipal Golf Course.
Taylor Gales paced the Eagles with a 51.
"(CBA) Coach (Roger) Rhodes and I were hoping to see better scores on the first day, but we were happy with many aspects of our teams' play," Rosewood head coach Shay Campbell said. "The players did not get a chance to get some practice shots in and loosen up before the match. I think this contributed to a shaky start on the first couple of holes in the match.
"However, the players from both teams kept the balls on the fairway which was impressive on the first day out."
Joining Aycock were teammates Madison Batts, Anna Williams, Isabelle Boulanger and Rachel Boulanger. Also participating for Rosewood were sophomores Lindsey Burton, Alana Pipkin and Madison Overby.
The county foes meet again Thursday at Lane Tree.
Other Local Sports
- Spring Creek completes regular-season sweep of Southern Wayne
- JV football: C.B. Aycock 22, Rosewood 8
- Bulldogs take 3-set match from Midway
- Bunn upends Princeton in volleyball
- Goldsboro spikers knock off Hobbton ... again
- Morgan cranks out 18 kills, Eagles stay unbeaten in volleyball
- Gryphons hand Rams first loss of the season
- Experienced Warriors off to 2-0 start in ECC girls' tennis
- Rosewood upends C.B. Aycock in non-conference golf match
- Preps digest: JV sports