Gryphons hand Rams first loss of the season
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 23, 2013 1:49 PM
SNOW HILL -- Rocky Mount cruised to an 8-1, non-conference win over Greene Central on Thursday afternoon.
The Gryphons, ranked No. 6 among the state's Class 3-A programs, won five of the six singles matches. Chasity Holloman claimed the lone singles point for the Rams.
Rocky Mount swept the doubles play.
"I was pleasantly surprised at how well we played today against a veteran Rocky Mount team," Greene Central head coach Donald Clark said. "We had several chances to pull off a few more singles wins."
The Rams (2-1 overall) face either Wilson Hunt or Fike in the finals of the Wilson Cup at noon Saturday at Barton College.
Other Local Sports
- Tigers score early, often against Saints
- Dixon denies Spring Creek's bid for season-opening win
- Golden Falcons prevail in Brooks' coaching debut
- Friday's state prep football scores
- Warriors shut out North Lenoir
- BOX -- Southern Wayne-James Kenan
- BOX -- Spring Creek-Dixon
- BOX -- Rosewood-C.B. Aycock
- BOX -- Princeton-E. Carteret
- BOX -- Goldsboro-Franklinton