Goldsboro drops opener at Franklinton
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 24, 2013 11:26 PM
FRANKLINTON -- Rashied Malette rushed for 162 yards and two touchdowns in Goldsboro's season-opening, 29-20 loss to Franklinton on Friday evening.
Malette punched in his first touchdown, a 10-yard gallop, with 20.1 seconds remaining in the opening quarter. He added a 23-yard jaunt midway through the third period.
Franklinton led 7-6 at halftime and broke the game open with a 22-point, third-quarter outburst. The Rams scored on three big plays -- an 80-yard kickoff return, 72-yard TD ramble and 53-yard TD run.
First-year Goldsboro quarterback Nashir Bowden tossed a 10-yard touchdown strike to Hunter McCoy with 7:14 remaining in the game. Bowden finished 5 of 19 passing with 83 yards and one interception.
The Cougars amassed 301 yards of total offense.
Other Local Sports
- Tigers score early, often against Saints
- Dixon denies Spring Creek's bid for season-opening win
- Golden Falcons prevail in Brooks' coaching debut
- Friday's state prep football scores
- Warriors shut out North Lenoir
- BOX -- Southern Wayne-James Kenan
- BOX -- Spring Creek-Dixon
- BOX -- Rosewood-C.B. Aycock
- BOX -- Princeton-E. Carteret
- BOX -- Goldsboro-Franklinton