Prep football roundup
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 8, 2013 12:00 AM
PIKEVILLE -- Neil Clark rushed for a career-high 282 yards and three touchdowns during Charles B. Aycock's 42-29, non-conference win over North Lenoir at Hardy Talton Stadium on Friday evening.
Clark's two first-quarter TDs gave the Golden Falcons a 14-0 advantage. TJ Morrow threw a scoring pass to Michael Eutsey to start the second quarter, which boosted Aycock's lead to 21-0.
North Lenoir pulled to within 21-14 before Morrow and Clark hooked up with Clark for a touchdown pass. Hawks' quarterback Landon Baker answered with a strike to K'haire Dixon, which closed the gap to 28-22.
Morrow and Eutsey connected for a second time just before intermission to make it 35-22. Morrow threw for 141 yards on just seven completions.
Clark capped the scoring in the third quarter with a 28-yard touchdown run.
C.B. Aycock (3-0 overall) is the guest of county foe Goldsboro next week.
James Kenan 44, Union 6
* ROSE HILL -- James Kenan quarterback Dominique Barnes completed three passes, all for touchdowns, in a 44-6 thrashing of Union High School on Friday night.
The Spartans took an early lead only to watch the Tigers rip-off 44 unanswered points.
Barnes opened the scoring for James Kenan with a 26-yard pass to Antonio Smith at the end of the first quarter. The senior signal caller scored on a one-yard run as the Tigers took control in the second period.
After a Marcelias Sutton touchdown run made the score 23-6, Barnes connected with T.J. Fullwood on a 42-yard scoring strike. One possession later Barnes hit Smith for a second time on a 53-yard bomb that ended in the end zone.
Al Owens capped the scoring with a one-yard run near the end of the third quarter.
Sutton led the Tigers with 157 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries.
James Kenan (3-0 overall) visits East Duplin next week.
Midway 52, Rosewood 14
* SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Midway scored early and often in a 52-14 win over Rosewood on Friday night.
Aided by a pair of Rosewood turnovers, the Raiders got off to a fast start and scored 28 points in the first quarter.
The Eagles finally got themselves together in the second quarter when Brett Jones scored on a one-yard run. Midway answered with a field goal as time expired and led 31-7 at halftime.
Rosewood pulled within 31-14 when Jamari McGown broke free for a 22-yard touchdown run on the opening drive of the second half. The Eagles would get no closer.
McGown led the Eagles with 79 yards on 13 carries. Quarterback Jacob Sasser completed seven passes in 19 attempts.
Rosewood (1-2 overall) plays host to Lejeune next week.
East Carteret 42,
Spring Creek 13
* BEAUFORT -- Spring Creek made strides offensively, but failed to slow down East Carteret in a 42-13 defeat on Friday night.
The Gators turned to Tre Hammonds at quarterback and opened up the passing game in the second half. Hammonds found Jordan Hicks for a 57-yard touchdown in the third quarter that got Spring Creek on the scoreboard.
Hammonds called his own number early in the fourth quarter and scored on a two-yard touchdown run that pulled the Gators to within 36-13.
Hammonds finished with 96 yards on 17 carries. Terrell Johnson added 46 yards on seven carries, while Anthony Russo tallied 36 yards on six totes.
Hicks had all of the Gators' receiving yards with four catches for 72 yards and a touchdown.
Spring Creek (0-3 overall) visits Wake Christian next week.
Dixon 32, Princeton 28
* HOLLY RIDGE -- Princeton's offense was consistent throughout a 32-28, non-conference loss to Dixon on Friday night.
The Bulldogs scored seven points in each quarter and built a 14-11 halftime lead before Dixon roared back with three second-half touchdowns.
Johnny Frasier led the Princeton offense with 19 carries for 139 yards and two touchdowns.
Quarterback Michael Wooten completed eight passes for 138 yards and two scores. Frasier was Wooten's favorite target and collected three receptions for 104 yards and a touchdown.
Tanner Woodard also caught a touchdown pass.
Princeton (1-2 overall) travels to county foe North Johnston next week.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle schools
- North Johnston slips past Goldsboro
- East Duplin shuts out North Lenoir
- Southern Wayne rolls past Kinston in soccer
- Hobbton builds 3-goal lead, knocks off Spring Creek
- Greene Central doubles up nemesis Edenton Holmes
- Fike sweeps Goldsboro in volleyball
- Morgan delivers 21 kills in four-set win over E. Wayne
- James Kenan hands Rosewood 3-1 loss in soccer
- Rosewood's Pipkin shoots season low on GMGC links