Gators snap 15-game skid in Carolina 1A football play
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on October 5, 2013 11:31 PM
NEWTON GROVE -- Another streak is over.
Spring Creek ended its 15-game skid in Carolina 1-A Conference play with a come-from-behind, 22-21 victory over Hobbton on Friday evening.
"It was a nail-biter, a fun one to be part of," SC head coach Aaron Sanders said. "The kids were thrilled about it and I'm happy for the kids. It was a well-rounded win. We got a little bit from everybody, and had some kids who stepped up and made some big plays both offensively and defensively."
The Gators tied the game at 14-14 on Tre Hammonds' touchdown run. The defense forced a three-and-out series, but drew a roughing-the-kicker flag and the Wildcats eventually pulled back in front 20-14.
Spring Creek answered with Hammonds' scoring strike to Anthony Russo with less than a minute go. DeVonte Faison hauled in the two-point conversion pass from Hammonds and the Gators held on to beat the Wildcats for the first time since 2005.
Hammonds completed a TD pass to Jordan Hicks in the opening half.
Hobbton led 14-7 after three quarters.
Spring Creek (2-5 overall, 1-1 CC) entertains Princeton on Oct. 18.
Other Local Sports
- Goldsboro playing host to large weekend tennis tournament
- NRYFL: C.B. Aycock defeats Rosewood in 12-Under play
- Rain washes out tennis action
- ECC 2A football teams have struggled during preseason play
- Woodburn scores lone goal in Trojans' loss
- Sideline play cards keep game moving for Bulldogs
- Coaches: Kicking involves some strategy
- Preps digest: JV, middle school news
- Rosewood's Burton emerges medalist on GMGC links
- Spring Creek shuts out Neuse Charter