Chargers double up PJP on soggy soccer pitch
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 9, 2013 1:49 PM
GREENVILLE -- Wayne Country Day scored less than a minute into the match and won its sixth straight game with a 4-2 victory over Coastal Plains Independent 1-A/2-A Conference foe Pope John Paul on Tuesday afternoon.
The Chargers' Matt Kierski scored off Miller Gerrard's assist 35 seconds into the match. Gerrard increased Wayne Country Day's lead to 2-0 off Jacob Magera's assist. The margin grew to 3-0 as Kierski scored off Magera's assist.
Gerrard completed the Chargers' scoring in the second half off Kierski's assist.
Wayne Country Day held a 32-4 edge in shots.
The Chargers (9-6-1 overall, 7-2-0 CPIC) entertain Freedom Christian on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Goldsboro playing host to large weekend tennis tournament
- NRYFL: C.B. Aycock defeats Rosewood in 12-Under play
- Rain washes out tennis action
- ECC 2A football teams have struggled during preseason play
- Woodburn scores lone goal in Trojans' loss
- Sideline play cards keep game moving for Bulldogs
- Coaches: Kicking involves some strategy
- Preps digest: JV, middle school news
- Rosewood's Burton emerges medalist on GMGC links
- Spring Creek shuts out Neuse Charter