Woodburn scores lone goal in Trojans' loss
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on October 10, 2013 1:49 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Josh Woodburn collected his first-ever collegiate goal in a Mount Olive College uniform during a 3-1 loss to in-state Conference Carolinas foe Belmont Abbey on Wednesday evening.
Woodburn moved to the forward position this season after playing defender for two years. He scored in the 12th minute on a cross from Bright Eto.
The Trojans maintained the lead until Belmont Abbey (4-6-0, 2-3-0) got on the scoreboard at 31:53.
Mark Wallace took a service from David De Los Reyes and scored from the top right of the box to even the contest. The match appeared to be headed to a halftime tie with less than five seconds remaining, but Declan McQuillan crossed from the right side and Clay Dimick's 15-yard shot went across the line just before the horn to give the Crusaders a 2-1 lead at the half. McQuillan added a second half goal.
The Trojans (1-9-0 overall, 1-3-0 CC) travel to Conference Carolinas foe Limestone (S.C.) on Saturday. Kickoff is 3 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Allen expected to take over as Saints' QB
- Rosewood linksters prevail at Cardinal CC
- Hawks slip past Chargers in ECC 2A soccer
- Princeton falls to Hobbton
- Rampants edge Golden Falcons 3-2 in ECC 3A/4A soccer
- Epiphany spikers shut down Wayne Country Day
- North Lenoir cruises past Goldsboro in ECC 2A volleyball
- Princeton knocks off Lakewood
- Rosewood sweeps North Duplin on volleyball court
- Rain forces cancellation of ECC 3A tennis tournament