Hawks slip past Chargers in ECC 2A soccer
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 11, 2013 1:48 PM
AYDEN -- Mike Bednarz scored the go-ahead goal with 12 minutes left and North Lenoir hung on for a 3-2 win over Eastern Carolina 2-A Conference opponent Ayden-Grifton on Thursday evening.
The Chargers took a 1-0 lead in the seventh minute. The Hawks' Andy Garcia tied the game in the 22nd minute off Braxton Greene's assist.
Bednarz put North Lenoir in front early in the second half when his shot was misplayed by the Ayden-Grifton keeper. After the Chargers tied the game at 2-2, Greene drew a foul just outside the 18-yard box to give the Hawks a free kick. Bednarz received Garcia's assist and beat the keeper to the near post.
Ayden-Grifton missed a penalty kick with six minutes to play.
North Lenoir (3-6-2 overall, 3-2-0 ECC) plays host to Greene Central on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Chargers capture first-ever CPIC boys' soccer championship
- Prep football roundup
- Unbeaten Tigers handle Rebels
- NC prep football scores
- Hobbton/Princeton football
- Bulldogs bite Cats in Carolina 1-A action
- BOX - Rosewood at Lakewood
- BOX - North Duplin at James Kenan
- BOX - JH Rose at CB Aycock