New Bern shuts down Southern Wayne
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 26, 2013 11:40 PM
DUDLEY -- New Bern raced out to a 34-0 lead after the first quarter and never looked back in a 64-13 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A/4-A Conference foe Southern Wayne on Friday night.
The Bears held the Southern Wayne offense to just 138 yards of offense, all of which came in the ground game.
"We played a very good football team tonight and we did not come out of the blocks with the confidence we needed to have," Southern Wayne head coach David Lee said. "In the second half, our guys played with more confidence and our competitiveness was much better."
Tyaire Allen paced the Saints with 63 yards and a touchdown on seven carries. Brion Kornegay added 43 yards on three totes and tallied the Saints other touchdown.
Southern Wayne (2-7 overall, 0-4 ECC) visits J.H. Rose High School next Friday.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS tennis boxes
- Wayne Country Day ends Statesville's reign as NCISAA 1A tennis queen
- Eastern Wayne defense does its job against DHC
- Missed scoring chances haunt Goldsboro
- Spring Creek shows its big-play capability against Rosewood
- Princeton earns return trip to 1A east volleyball finals
- NC prep football scores
- Jones wins third straight NCISAA 1A cross country state title
- BOX - Southern Wayne-New Bern
- BOX - North Duplin-Princeton