Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 20, 2013 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 52, North Lenoir 24
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock wasted no time in welcoming first-year head coach Ryan Wells with a victory. The Golden Falcons cruised past North Lenoir 52-24 on Tuesday in the season opener for both teams.
The home team used a 15-0 run that spanned the last three minutes of the first quarter and the first three minutes of the second to put the game away early.
"I was pretty pleased with how we played considering that this was our first live action," Wells said. "We didn't have a scrimmage or anything this year, so I was a little anxious to see how we would start out, but the girls did well."
Myleah Jones led C.B. Aycock (1-0 overall) with 17 points. Taylor Daniels added nine. Tanika Powell and Alexis Bynum each finished with seven markers.
Quaya Porter paced North Lenoir (0-1 overall) with eight points.
C.B. Aycock is back in action tonight at South Johnston. North Lenoir is the guest of Southern Wayne on Friday.
Goldsboro 67, Southern Nash 64
* BAILEY -- Goldsboro had four players score in double-figures in a season-opening, 67-64 win on Tuesday night at Southern Nash.
Rasheed Jackson scored 17 points for the Cougars. Rasheen Artis added 14 points and Myron Carmon had 11. Tyrique Tyson finished with 11 points and 15 rebounds.
Goldsboro (1-0) visits Charles B. Aycock on Friday.
Greene Central 75, Jones Senior 54
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central opened its season with a 75-54 thrashing of Jones Senior on Tuesday night.
Javan Rozelle led the Rams with points. Quante Smith supplied 15 points and Kevin Ormond had eight.
Greene Central (1-0) plays host to SouthWest Edgecombe tonight.
Community Christian 91,
Wayne Christian 44
* WILSON -- Kanin Preskitt led Wayne Christian with 12 points in a 91-44 loss on Tuesday night at Community Christian.
Community used a 17-8 run at the end of the first quarter to break the game open.
Tanner Rose contributed eight points for the Eagles. Wayne Christian (0-3, 0-1 CCC) plays host to Wayne Country Day on Nov. 26.
Conley sweeps meet
* D.H. Conley swept a 12-team meet on Tuesday evening at the Goldsboro Family YMCA.
The Vikings won the boys' meet with 127 points. Goldsboro was second with a team score of 86. Eastern Wayne finished third with 57 points. Charles B. Aycock was fifth with 48. Southern Wayne (36) and Rosewood (23) were eighth and ninth respectively.
The Golden Falcons' team of Zech Chastain, Devin Hall, Will Walters and Charlie Robertson prevailed in the 200 yard medley relay. Aycock also won the 200 yard freestyle relay. Southern Wayne's Austin Edgecomb claimed the 200 yard freestyle. Rosewood's Kodey Silknitter won the 200 yard individual medley.
Goldsboro's Zach Darden bested the field in the 50 yard freestyle and the Saints' Brandon Murray-Cruz captured the 100 yard butterfly. Darden also won the 100 yard freestyle. The Cougars' Timmy Vick finished first in the 500 yard freestyle and the 100 yard backstroke.
Chastain won the 100 yard backstroke. Goldsboro's team of Vick, Vincent Spangnuolo, Christian Martens and Zach Darden claimed the 400 yard freestyle relay. Hall claimed the 1 meter diving.
Conley won the girls' meet with a score of 158. Goldsboro was fourth with 44 points. Eastern Wayne (36), Rosewood (18), Aycock (8) and Southern Wayne (3) finished sixth, seventh, ninth and 11th respectively.
The Cougars' team of Olivia Paul, Madison Huf, Kaylee Lyon and Matti Lyon won the 200 yard medley relay. Matti Lyon also claimed the 200 yard freestyle and the 200 yard breaststroke. Goldsboro also won the 400 yard freestyle relay.
Eastern Wayne's Tricia Malcolm finished first in the 200 yard individual medley and the 100 yard freestyle . Rosewood's Ciera Satterfield bested the competition in the 50 yard freestyle. Paul captured the 500 yard freestyle.
The Eagles' team of Ciera Hardee, Sydney Canterbury, Amber Flood and Satterfield won the 200 yard freestyle relay. The Warriors' Lilly Boyette captured the 100 yard backstroke.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 45, Southern Nash 41 -- Kisheem Faison led the Cougars with 20 points. Jaryan Hargis had eight points.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 36, Community Christian 28 -- Austin Kornegay lead Wayne Christian with 11 points. The Eagles play host to Freedom Christian on Friday.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 50, Community Christian 22 -- Kasey Norris paced the Eagles with 28 points. Georgia Parnell contributed nine points and Ashley Harrelson had eight.
Other Local Sports
- Wolfpack fans voicing displeasure on social media
- Eastern Wayne defense must stop the run ... again
- Golden Falcons, Morgan adjusting to each other
- Rams slip past SW Edgecombe
- CBA's Jones, Daniels lead 4th-quarter charge
- Aycock grapplers prevail in tri-meet
- Southern Wayne girls avenge playoff blowout loss
- Preps digest: JV sports
- Bulldogs, Tigers meet again in playoffs
- BOX -- So. Wayne-No. Nash boys/girls