J.H. Rose boys defeat C.B. Aycock
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on January 4, 2014 11:13 PM
PIKEVILLE -- J.H. Rose standout Cornell Powell scored 10 points in one minute during a fast-paced third quarter and the Rampants never looked back.
Powell finished with 32 points and nine rebounds as J.H. Rose posted a 69-51 victory over Charles B. Aycock in Eastern Carolina 3-A/4-A Conference basketball action on Friday.
"We had a lot of trouble handling the press," C.B. Aycock head coach Tod Morgan said. "I am actually glad the Rose pressed us the whole game. We needed to get our second and third units some experience against a good team that plays that kind of defense."
J.H. Rose scored the first five points of the game. The visitors' grabbed a 15-7 lead after one quarter and maintained the eight-point advantage at the halftime break.
"Foul trouble really put us in a tough spot early," Morgan said. "It forced us to play more zone defense and we gave up too many open shots and too many second chance points."
Powell took over the second half.
The Rampants' leading scorer tallied 17 points in the period including 10 consecutive points in one minute thanks to three consecutive steals in the full-court defense. The visitors led by as many as 25 points in the second half.
C.B. Aycock (5-8, 0-3 ECC) closed the gap over the final eight minutes as both coaches found minutes for their reserve players. Neil Clark finished with 16 points and six rebounds. Michael Williams added seven points and nine rebounds.
C.B. Aycock will be the guest of D.H. Conley on Tuesday night.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school results
- Bulldogs start strong against SC girls
- Spring Creek boys win "ugly" conference game
- Princeton-S. Creek box scores
- North Lenoir matmen corral Dark Horses
- Jenkins, Sasser lead Faith Christian boys
- James Kenan boys stroll past Lakewood
- SW boys endure first ECC loss of year
- Williams has career-best 33 points in CBA road loss
- Rosewood boys slip past North Duplin