By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 4, 2014 11:13 PM
D.H. Conley 45, Southern Wayne 39
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne cut a 12-point, fourth quarter deficit to two points but fell short in a 45-39 loss to Eastern Carolina 3-A/4-A Conference foe D.H. Conley on Friday night.
The Saints trailed 39-27 early in the fourth quarter but used full-court pressure to force turnovers that resulted in transition baskets. A 12-2 run helped Southern Wayne pull to within 41-39.
A missed 3-pointer and costly turnovers late ended the Saints' comeback hopes.
"We were able to use our press to force some turnovers and make a comeback," Southern Wayne head coach Ricky Lofton said. "We had some turnovers late that hurt us. We just started flat and that put us in a position to have to come back in the fourth quarter."
Cierra Thompson led the Saints with 11 points. Latrecia Johnson and Keajah Wilson each had seven points. Johnson also pulled down nine rebounds.
Jessica McBeth paced the Vikings with 12 points.
Southern Wayne (10-3, 1-1 ECC) continues ECC play on Tuesday at South Central.
J.H. Rose 60, C.B. Aycock 48
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock got off to a slow start and never recovered in a 60-48 loss to J.H. Rose on the Eastern Carolina 3-A/4-A Conference on Friday night.
The Rampants opened the game with a 7-0 run and built a 10-3 lead after the first quarter.
The Golden Falcons battled back in the second quarter and cut the deficit to three points when Taylor Daniels hit a pair of free throws with three minutes left in the third period.
That is as close as the home team would get. Takiya Smith hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to end the third quarter and the Rampants put the game away with a pair of baskets to open the fourth quarter.
Kamiah Gilbert led J.H. Rose with 17 points. Jillian Ebron added 10 points.
Taylor Daniels paced C.B. Aycock with 17 points and Ashley Darden reached double figures with 12 points.
C.B. Aycock (5-8, 1-2 ECC) will travel to D.H. Conley on Tuesday night.
Princeton 60, Hobbton 12
* PRINCETON -- In a game that was never close, Princeton dropped Carolina 1-A Conference foe Hobbton 60-12 on Friday night.
Savanna Massengill led Princeton with 12 points. Charley Cox, Jackie Farrior, Kortney Edwards and Jordan Benson each added eight points in the win.
Princeton (5-7, 2-1 CC) will pay a visit to Spring Creek on Tuesday.
Rosewood 72, Lakewood 45
* ROSEBORO -- Lexie Mercer and Alicia Burns combined for 54 points and Rosewood cruised past Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Lakewood 72-45 on Friday night.
Mercer finished with 23 points and Burns added 21. Krystal Yelverton added eight points and seven assists.
Rosewood (10-1, 3-0 CC) will visit North Duplin on Tuesday.
James Kenan 56, North Duplin 19
* WARSAW -- James Kenan held North Duplin to just two points in the first quarter and cruised to a 56-19 victory in Carolina 1-A Conference play on Friday night.
Christy Debnam led the Tigers with 14 points.
Deja Aycock paced North Duplin with nine points in the loss.
North Duplin (0-9, 0-3 CC) will host Rosewood on Tuesday.
Spring Creek 65, Neuse Charter 35
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek used a balanced attack to knock off Neuse Charter 65-35 for a Carolina 1-A Conference victory on Friday night.
Amber Buchan and Jazlyn Grimes each finished with 17 points for Spring Creek. Tysha Teachey added 12 points and Destiny Sutton finished with nine points. Ashley Marriner tallied six points.
Spring Creek (3-7, 2-1 CC) will host Princeton on Tuesday.
Goldsboro 70, Southern Nash 60
* BAILEY -- Rasheen Artis made seven clutch free throws in the final minutes and Goldsboro held off Southern Nash 70-60 in a non-conference clash on Friday night.
Artis led the Cougars with 27 points. Myron Carmon added 15 points and Joseph Baker finished with 10 points.
Tyrique Tyson grabbed a game-high 16 rebounds in the win.
Goldsboro (9-3 overall) will open Eastern Carolina 2-A Conference play on Tuesday against South Lenoir.
Princeton 73, Hobbton 34
* PRINCETON -- Princeton opened up a 15-point lead in the first quarter and never looked back in a 73-34 rout of Hobbton on Friday night in Carolina 1-A Conference basketball action.
Michael Wooten led the Bulldogs with 26 points. Devaris Williams and Alex Whitley each added 11 points in the win.
Princeton (7-5, 2-1 CC) will visit Spring Creek on Tuesday.
Lakewood 73, Rosewood 65, 2 OT
* ROSEBORO -- Lakewood got hot in the second overtime period and bested Rosewood 73-65 on the Carolina 1-A Conference scene on Friday night.
Dennis Mitchell paced the Eagles with 26 points. Zack Barnes added 18 points and Jon Hare finished with 12.
Rosewood (2-7, 1-2 CC) will be the guest of North Duplin on Tuesday.
James Kenan 60, North Duplin 41
* WARSAW -- James Kenan pulled away in the second half and earned a 60-41 Carolina 1-A Conference win over North Duplin on Friday night.
Jalahne Stroud led James Kenan with 12 points.
Daron Goodman delivered 15 points for the Rebels. Cody Ivey added seven points.
North Duplin (3-6, 0-3 CC) will entertain Rosewood on Tuesday.
* Boys' basketball: Spring Creek 52, Neuse Charter 44 -- Will Rouse led the Spring Creek attack with 16 points. Najee Young added nine points. Spring Creek will host Princeton on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school results
- Bulldogs start strong against SC girls
- Spring Creek boys win "ugly" conference game
- Princeton-S. Creek box scores
- North Lenoir matmen corral Dark Horses
- Jenkins, Sasser lead Faith Christian boys
- James Kenan boys stroll past Lakewood
- SW boys endure first ECC loss of year
- Williams has career-best 33 points in CBA road loss
- Rosewood boys slip past North Duplin