Oakwood bounces WCDS girls from league tournament
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 15, 2014 11:13 PM
Wayne Country Day fell behind 24-0 after one quarter and never recovered in a 52-23 loss to Oakwood during semifinal-round play in the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A/2-A Conference tournament Friday evening.
Senior Bailee Creger led the Chargers with eight points. Kaitlyn Daniels and Lillian Freeman had four points apiece. Creger played her final high school game along with fellow Karis Hawkins and Meredith Roethling.
"We didn't come out prepared to play," Wayne Country Day head coach Claude Waters said. "We made some adjustments and I was proud of the way we continued to fight. But, the way the game started was tough for us to overcome."
The Chargers finished the season 8-16 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV sports
- WCDS basketball boxes
- Patriots oust Chargers in CPIC semifinals
- Reed, Brite pace Trojan men at home
- Rosewood girls clinch first league title since 2007
- Princeton boys stay in title hunt
- Goldsboro takes care of business in final 2 ECC games
- Goldsboro-North Lenoir boxes
- Whisenhunt: Football icon is honorary member of NCFCA
- Aycock girls upend Eastern Wayne