COLLEGE BASEBALL: Trojans' Mozingo notches 5th save of season
By UMO Media Relations
Published in Sports on March 15, 2017 10:07 AM
UMO Media Relations
MOUNT OLIVE -- Zach Mozingo earned his fifth save of the season and No. 5-ranked University of Mount Olive fended off Franklin Pierce, 7-4, at Scarborough Field on Tuesday afternoon.
Mozingo provided 11/3 innings of no-hit, one-strikeout relief.
Braxton Shetley started, but was replaced by Ethan Horne in the fourth. Horne (2-1) claimed the mound win with 21/3 innings of one-hit, three-strikeout relief during his outing.
The Trojans swatted two home runs -- one each by Drew Ellis and Grant Tyndall. Ellis ended the day 2-for-4 with three RBI, while Tyndall turned in a 1-for-3, two-RBI effort.
Ricky Surum contributed two hits and stole two bases.
Tyndall belted his home run in the third inning, which gave UMO a 2-1 advantage. FP answered two runs in top of the fourth. Jose Lopez knotted the game at 3-all with an RBI single to left center that scored Mozingo.
Ellis delivered a two-RBI in the fifth and added his solo home run in the seventh.
The Trojans (20-5 overall) carry a five-game win streak into this weekend's Conference Carolinas series at in-state rival Pfeiffer University. The teams will play a single game Friday and a doubleheader Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- BASEBALL: Gators heartily feast on Cougars' offerings
- GIRLS' SOCCER: Warriors' defensive plan slows down Bears
- BOYS' TENNIS: J.H. Rose doubles up Aycock
- BOYS' TENNIS: Oakwood topples WCDS
- BOYS' TENNIS: Eastern Wayne nets non-league win
- SOFTBALL: CBA wins wild affair against North Johnston
- GIRLS' SOCCER: Princeton shuts out Hobbton
- GIRLS' SOCCER: Fitzmaurice tallies hat trick for RHS
- BOYS' TRACK: Holt breaks his own school record in shot put
- SOFTBALL: Rosewood pounds Lakewood