BASEBALL: Anderson's HR caps wild comeback for Wayne Christian
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 20, 2017 9:59 AM
Jaxon Anderson swatted the game-clinching, two-run homer in the bottom of the sixth inning as Wayne Christian claimed a come-from-behind, 9-8 victory over Bethel Christian.
WCS entered the sixth down 8-5.
Addison Johnson ignited the rally with a lead-off single and raced home one out later on Holden Foster's RBI double. Ted Suggs followed with an RBI double, but was eventually erased on the base path.
With two outs, sophomore Will White slugged a double into center field, which set the table for Anderson's heroics. It was Anderson's lone hit of the day after he posted a second-inning groundout and third-inning strikeout.
Anderson stole one base.
Foster belted a one-out, two-run homer in the first inning.
The Eagles added single runs in the third and fourth innings.
Suggs emerged as the winning pitcher in relief of Foster, who surrendered six runs on nine hits and fanned five Bethel hitters in a five-inning stint.
White, Suggs, Foster and Luke Suggs each turned in a two-hit performance at the plate.
The teams combined for 21 hits and four errors.
Wayne Christian entertains Northwood Temple on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- SOFTBALL: Santos, Cottle power Rebels to victory
- BOYS' TENNIS: Warriors win battle with Golden Falcons
- SOFTBALL: BOX -- ND @ Rosewood
- BOYS' TENNIS: BOX -- EW @ C.B. Aycock
- BASEBALL: BOX -- ND @ Rosewood
- BASEBALL: White silences Rebels
- BASEBALL: Golden Falcons slip past Vikings
- BASEBALL: Gators turn back Bulldogs
- BASEBALL: Rose cruises past Southern Wayne
- BASEBALL: Foster, Suggs lift Wayne Christian over Northwood Temple