COLLEGE BASEBALL: Division II CWS back in Cary; Trojans dump Hawks
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on April 19, 2017 10:00 AM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Just hours after receiving the news it will once again co-host the NCAA Division II College World Series with the Town of Cary through 2022, the No. 1-ranked University of Mount Olive baseball team slipped past Chowan, 3-1, at Scarborough Field on Tuesday afternoon.
The NCAA announced the move after North Carolina rolled back a law limiting protections for the LGBT community. Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper signed a compromise bill March 30 while saying it wasn't a perfect solution.
LGBT rights groups have said the compromise bill does not go far enough, and criticized the NCAA's decision to return to North Carolina. Cooper said it was clear that the NCAA had wanted a complete repeal of HB2 as did he. The governor said the new law was the best compromise he could get given the Republicans' veto-proof majorities inthe legislature.
"We're excited and hnored to have been selected to be the host institution for the DII Baseball Championship for another four years," said Jeff Eisen, vice president for athletics at UMO.
"We have gotten great feedback on the quality of the event over the last eight years and look forward to working with the Town of Cary to continue providing a first-lace championship experience in the future."
The CWS returns to Cary in 2018.
UMO 3, Chowan 1
Knotted at 1-1 through 4 1/2 innings, the top-ranked Trojans took control in their half of the fifth.
A Trae Sweeting single and Zack Mozingo walk set the table for Ricky Surum's two-RBI single.
Chowan threatened in the ninth, but failed to score.
Trey Pate (6-0) yielded an unearned run on four hits and sat down seven Chowan batters on strikeouts. Mozingo provided two innings of one-hit, three-strikeout relief and earned his team-leading 12th save of the season.
The teams play again today.
Other Local Sports
- CHARGER CLASSIC: WCDS falls to Kerr-Vance
- BASEBALL: BOX -- Spring Creek vs. Union
- BASEBALL: BOX -- Princeton vs. Cape Hatteras
- BASEBALL: BOX -- Kerr-Vance Academy vs. Wayne Country Day
- BASEBALL: BOX -- Union at Princeton
- BASEBALL: BOX -- Statesville Christian at Wayne Country Day
- CHARGER CLASSIC: Chargers blow past Lions
- DEACON JONES INVITATIONAL: Bulldogs repeat as champions
- DEACON JONES INVITATIONAL: Gators chomp Hurricanes
- DEACON JONES INVITATIONAL: Union outlasts Spring Creek