Goldsboro firefighters responded to a kitchen fire at a Fallin Boulevard apartment Tuesday afternoon.

The fire occurred shortly before 1 p.m. at 113 Fallin Blvd., in Apartment C.

Tyvon Cooper, a resident of the Legacy at Berkeley Place apartments, was cooking when a pan caught fire, according to fire officials who responded to the incident.

Cooper took the pan outside and neighbor, James Harden, used a nearby fire extinguisher to put out the fire. Cooper was taken to Wayne UNC Health Care with second-degree burns to his hand and wrist.

No property damage was reported by fire officials.