The State Bureau of Investigation has taken control of the manhunt for possible murder suspect Ricky Terrell Ward taking place now in Kinston.
Law enforcement including the SBI, State Highway Patrol and Wayne and Lenoir county sheriff's offices have a residential area blocked off at Carver Court.
A SWAT team is in place and a command post has been established.
Maj. Tom Effler with the Wayne County Sheriff's Office said a truck stolen from Wayne County was stopped in Kinston early this morning, possibly due to an improper registration.
The driver, believed to be Ward, is now possibly holed up in or around the residence on Carver Court.
Sheriff Larry Pierce said the SBI has not taken control of the scene.
Ward is wanted in Raleigh in relation to a stolen car owned by a man reported missing March 19. Justice Courtney Lyons has not been seen since mid-March.
Since then Ward has eluded capture in Wayne County twice, once in Goldsboro after an alleged shooting incident at the Speedway gas station at 1501 U.S. 70 West, and again Monday night during a Code Red in Mar-Mac.
Deputies were called to the Dudley area that night after a murder on Sunday when a person called to report having seen Ward nearby.
The sheriff's office then said Ward was a possible suspect in the murder, and he should be considered armed and dangerous.
This is a developing story. Updates will be provided as details emerge.