Two people escaped unharmed from a Monday night house fire at 409 Charlie Braswell Road.

Three of the five cats in the house at the time died. Two cats survived thanks to Wayne County EMS giving them oxygen.

The fire is believed to have started when a wall-mounted, five-brick propane heater malfunctioned, said Oakland Fire Chief David Lassiter.

Oakland, Rosewood, Little River and Princeton fire departments responded to the alarm at around 6:40 p.m. and remained on scene for about two hours.

Two rooms in the house had fire and water damage, while other rooms had some smoke damage.

Damages were estimated at $25,000 to the $80,000 home.

At least 12 pieces of firefighting equipment and 40 firefighters responded, Lassiter said.

"Everyone did a great a job in putting it out and saving what we could," he said.

No one was injured.

Also, Lassiter said the milder temperatures made fighting the fire easier than another recent call in which frigid weather had make it difficult to operate fire hydrants.