MOUNT OLIVE -- Several Wayne County students were recognized for their achievements at the University of Mount Olive Annual Awards Ceremony. Among those receiving awards were:
* Samantha Futrelle of Mount Olive received the Business Management Student of the Year Award. Futrelle is a senior management- accounting major. The Business Management Student of the Year is awarded to a senior with a minimum GPA of 3.0. The student must demonstrate a resume capturing leadership qualities, community contributions and other interest. The award is determined by faculty from the Tillman School of Business.
* Micah Lee of Mount Olive received the Lorelle F. Martin Science Award. Lee is a senior biology major. This award is a scholarship given by the University of Mount Olive in honor and memory of Lorelle F. Martin, professor emerita, who taught science at Mount Olive College from 1957-1987. The award is given to an outstanding returning science major who has demonstrated excellence in the biological sciences selected by the Department of Biological and Physical Sciences.
*Janet Holloman of Mount Olive received the Early Childhood Education Student of the Year Award. Holloman is a senior education major. The Early Childhood Education Student of the Year is awarded to a student with a 3.0 GPA or higher who has satisfactorily completed a senior research project. The recipient is selected by the Department of Education faculty.
* Sarah McCollum of Seven Springs received The Louise Edgerton Teacher Education Student of the Year Award. McCollum is a senior education major. The award is sponsored through the generosity of Dr. Thomas R. Morris in memory of his cousin, Louise Edgerton, to honor her 18 years of service as a trustee to the University and her 40 years as a public school teacher. The award is presented to a senior education major demonstrating academic excellence and showing promise as a prospective educator. The award recipient is selected by the Department of Education faculty.
* Hannah Brown of Seven Springs received the K. David Hines Award of Excellence. Brown is a senior math education major. The award is given by the Academic Resource Center and the division of Education to a Jr. or Sr. student who has made outstanding contributions to peer learning, has distinguished themselves as a student academic leader, and has demonstrated conspicuous commitment to the furtherance of the mission of the Academic Resource Center to support UMO teaching and learning.
* Debora Stilley of Goldsboro received the W. Burkette Raper Religion Student of the Year. Stilley is a senior religion major. The W. Burkette Raper Student in Religion award is given to an outstanding graduating student on the basis of academic excellence. This award is given in memory of Dr. W. Burkett Raper, president of Mount Olive College from 1954--1995. The award is given by Dr. Thomas R. Morris because of his desire to advance the educational and spiritual quality of persons entering the Christian ministry. Selection criteria includes a 3.5 GPA or better, academic excellence, professional service, and personal growth.
* James Mullen of Mount Olive received the History/Social Studies Student of the Year Award. Mullen is a senior history major. The History/Social Studies Student of the Year is awarded to a student who has shown excellence in the field of historical studies as demonstrated by a superior grade point average (3.5 or higher), academic excellence. professional service, and personal growth.