Approximately 75 employees with Wayne County Public Schools are retiring, and the district recognized them at a recent ceremony.
The annual recognition was held at the Goldsboro Event Center, acknowledging employees in a variety of roles for their contributions to the school system and education of the county’s youth.
As part of the ceremony, Yvette Mason, assistant superintendent for human resources, acknowledged the service of the employees, applauding their hard work and dedication to their roles. Each retiree was also presented with a plaque by Superintendent Michael Dunsmore.
In addition to teachers, assistants and an array of custodians, bus drivers and mechanics, there was one retiring administrator this year — Tasha Christian Adams, principal of Edgewood Community Developmental School.
“Mrs. Adams has dedicated her education career to helping equip regular and special needs students with the tools to be successful in the classroom and in life,” Dunsmore said. “We wish her the very best in her upcoming retirement.
Adams is a Wayne County native. She began her education career in 1989 with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. She taught grades 3-8 and special education students in grades K-12 for 12 years.
She returned to Wayne County in 2001, serving as an exceptional children’s resource teacher at Fremont STARS Elementary and later Norwayne Middle School. In 2002, she became assistant principal at Brogden Primary. The following year, she was named interim principal at Edgewood and principal in July 2004.
Retirees represent close to 1,700 cumulative years in the education profession in North Carolina, officials said.
The 2018-2019 retirees and the latest school or department they represented include the following:
• Brogden Middle: Patricia Grant, teacher.
• Brogden Primary: Brenda Manley, bus driver; Carol Mitchell, teacher; and James Skelton, custodian.
• Carver Elementary: Donald Ammons, custodian; Barbara Smith, teacher; and Marie Wiggins, cafeteria assistant.
• Carver Heights Elementary: teachers Deborah Copeland, Lydia Joyner and Kristin Miller.
• Charles B. Aycock High: teachers Rhonda Davis, Sederis Rhodes and Rhonda Taylor; cafeteria assistants Edna Reid and Sentara Tucker; and Deborah Long, media coordinator.
• Dillard Middle: Nino Coley, teacher; and Jamie Tyler, instructional assistant.
• Eastern Wayne Elementary: teachers Patricia Collins and Nicole Jackson; instructional assistants Deborah Denton and Teresa Weaver; Betty Hargrove, custodian; and Barbara Rowe, speech language pathologist.
• Eastern Wayne Middle: Mary Capen, teacher; Vanessa Cave, instructional assistant; and Caryl Crawford, data manager.
• Eastern Wayne High: Willie Cox Jr., custodian; and George Weidinger, teacher.
• Edgewood: Deborah Gill, teacher.
• Fremont STARS: Karen Williford, instructional assistant.
• Goldsboro High: Elvin James, teacher.
• Grantham Elementary: Paula Shoulars, cafeteria assistant.
• Greenwood Middle: teachers Lanita Ivery and Joyce Wooten; and Helen Reid, cafeteria manager.
• Mount Olive Middle: April Hatcher, teacher.
• North Drive Elementary; Gregory Brown, teacher; Elizabeth King, instructional assistant; and Marilyn Raynor, custodian.
• Northeast Elementary: Sherrill Stafford, teacher.
• Northwest Elementary: Kathy Johnson, bus driver; and Kellie West, instructional assistant.
• Norwayne Middle: Pamela Andrews, teacher.
• Rosewood Elementary: teacher Frances Gooding; and teacher Clara Rackley.
• Rosewood Middle: head custodian Luther Bolden Jr., head custodian; instructional assistants Jeanne Cottle and Laura Hemecourt; and teachers Lajeannea Hietpas and Phyllis Price.
• Rosewood High: teachers Lisa Ingram and Jennie Vanderhelm.
• School Street Early Learning Center: Quincy Crawford, head custodian; and Alison Hubbbard, teacher.
• Southern Wayne High: Sherry Denning, bookkeeper; teachers Joe Ann Jones and Kimble Nasser; and Rhonda Sutton, instructional technology facilitator.
• Spring Creek Elementary: teachers Helen Aldridge and Lisa Lewis; and Emma Key Lewis, instructional assistant.
• Spring Creek Middle: Sally Fuglestad, guidance counselor; and teachers Amy Janning and Nancy Lancaster.
• Tommy’s Road Elementary: Linda Lewis, instructional assistant.
• Wayne Early/Middle: Kimberly McArthur, teacher.
• Wayne Middle/High Academy: Anita Phillips, teacher.
• Child Nutrition: Kathy Smith, supervisor.
• Curriculum and Instruction: Wanda Bryant, 21st century program director.
• Exceptional Children: Rhonda Coakley, teacher.
• Maintenance: Danny Barwick, locksmith; and Kenneth Hobbs, plumber.
• Print Shop: Sean Norris, technician.
• Transportation: Alton Monroe, shop mechanic.