CBA-EW soccer

Charles B. Aycock’s Dillon Borel (19) watches Eastern Wayne keeper Bryan Morales chase after a ball that rolls into the goal during first-half action Tuesday evening at New Hope.

Moments after Dillon Borel tapped in a first-half goal, Charles B. Aycock head boys’ soccer coach Cory Worrell grabbed a sheet of paper and scribbled a couple of notes.

“We needed this tonight,” Worrell said.


Still feeling the sting from a penalty-kick shootout loss against arch rival Eastern Wayne just eight days ago, the Golden Falcons exacted revenge Tuesday evening. Josh Naughton delivered a pair of goals and little brother, Zach, supplied two assists during a 4-1 victory.

“Just what we’ve been dealing with the past couple of weeks, starting 0-4 in the conference, come away with a big win against Conley the other night and then trying to build on it last night at New Bern, but couldn’t finish it up,” Worrell said.

“We just needed another ‘W’ in the win column. The boys really didn’t like them celebrating on our field last time, so it was definitely revenge to be had.”

Aycock foiled the Eastern Wayne’s bid for its first regular-season sweep in the series since 2014.

The Warriors (3-9-1 overall) battled on an even keel for the first 20 minutes and had some dangerous opportunities inside the Golden Falcons’ defensive third of the field. They failed to finish a couple of set pieces and goalie Ty Smith (five saves) kept the net clear.

Around the 21st minute, the game’s complexion changed.

The Golden Falcons (7-6-2) gained possession of a ball in the midfield, moved it forward and earned a throw-in from the left side. Josh Naughton tossed the ball into the 6-yard box, it glanced off the fingertips of EW keeper Bryan Morales and fell into the back of the net.

“That first goal, I hated it,” Warriors head coach Scott Summers said. “Our guys put their heads down. It kind of deflated us. A throw-in goal, that’s never a goal you want to concede.”

Aycock struck again four minutes later.

Zach Naughton redirected a ball to Borel in front of Morales and Borel punched it in for the 2-0 advantage.

“Another goal that shouldn’t have happened,” Summers said.

Naughton extended the Golden Falcons’ lead to 3-0 in the 32nd minute on a header off Christian Sexton’s corner kick. It was Naughton’s seventh goal of the season and Sexton’s second assist.

In search of their second Eastern Carolina 3-A/4-A win of the season, the Warriors opened the second half with more pressure on the ball. They attempted to create turnovers and get the Golden Falcons (2-5-0 ECC) on their heels.

Smith collected three saves in the flow of play before Eastern Wayne averted the shutout.

Josh Gross picked up his third goal of the season in the 61st minute.

“If we had played the entire second half like we did the first half, we would have been in a lot better shape,” Summers said. “We’ve got to come ready to play. I really don’t know what was going on…didn’t come out with high intensity.”

Josh Naughton capped the scoring in the 73rd minute on Payne Casey’s assist.

Aycock led 10-8 in shots on frame, while Eastern Wayne owned an 8-3 edge in corner kicks. The teams combined for just 11 fouls in a cleanly-played game.

“We moved the ball around, talked a little bit more and kept our shape really well,” Worrell said. “The big balls is what we were really worried about played over the top, so I think the defenders definitely got their head on the ball at any point in time they needed to when the ball was in the air.

“That stopped all momentum for Eastern Wayne.”